According to the Elliott Institute, 95% of all women who have had abortions said they wish they would have been given more information before making that choice!
Most abortions occur during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. The most common abortion during this stage is a suction abortion. In later stages, as the fetus grows, the procedure becomes more complex. Cost ranges from $600 to over $5,000 per procedure, depending upon the stage of development at which it is performed and the type of anesthetic that is used.
Recently, the “morning after pill” (Plan B) has become easier to purchase. Basically, this is a high-dosage birth control pill which can be taken up to 72-hours after intercourse. It prevents and stops pregnancy in one of 3 ways: it will prevent an egg from being released, the normal menstrual cycle will be altered, or if an egg has been fertilized, beginning a pregnancy, the ovum will not be able to implant in the uterine wall.
RU 486 is used in early, chemical abortions. It requires a series of two pills that must be taken within 49 days (7 weeks) from the first day of your last period. The first pill prevents the progesterone in your body from working, shutting off the blood supply to the embryo. Two days later you will be required to return to the clinic for the second pill, which is prostaglandin. This pill induces labor. Severe cramping, bleeding, nausea and vomiting should be expected. A final visit to the clinic is needed to ensure the abortion has gone to completion. Up to 5-10% of all women require surgical abortions to complete the process.
Health risks with abortion:
Common side effects are: abdominal pain, cramping, nausea, and diarrhea
While not as common, the following side effects have occurred: 1. Heavy bleeding and possible hospitalization due to hemorrhaging
2. Infection- especially if anything has been left behind.
3. Allergic reactions to drugs or anesthesia
4. Tearing of the cervix, or perforation of the uterine wall
5. Scarring of the uterine lining, which can cause infertility
6. Damage to other internal organs- primarily the bladder or the bowels
7. Effects on future pregnancy- primarily through scarring or damage to the cervix
8. Emotional Impact- Watch particularly for the following signs: Guilt, Anger, Anxiety, Depression, Suicidal Thoughts, Actual suicide attempts, Anniversary Grief, Flashbacks of Abortion, Sexual Dysfunction, Relationship Problems, Eating Disorders, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Psychological Reactions
If you have had an abortion and are experiencing any of the signs listed above, or for more information, please call us at 402.397.0600, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can help!